Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do you Swap?


I have a very small area in my bedrooom where I can keep books. Therefore, I swap books (this is why a book has to be really, really good - or signed- to make my keeper shelves). I use my local used bookstore enough that they recognize me when I come in. She doesn't always take all my books though, so I decided to try PaperBack Swap.

Here's what I'm finding: PaperBack Swap is good if you have newly released books to get rid of and want older releases in return. For example, my copy of Pleasures of a Dark Prince by Kresley Cole was snatched up before I could even refresh the homepage; there are over 200 people waiting for this book.
BUT, for books I am wishing for, it's not as quick. Here's a snapshot of my wish list:
Impossible by Nancy Werlien: I'm #9, they estimate a three week wait. Not so bad, right? (Although I'm a bit confused b/c on Friday it was only a two week wait.)
Patience by Lisa Valdez: I'm #224, they estimate a 25 week wait. That's six months, but okay.
The Summer of You by Kate Noble: I'm #91, they estimate a 46 week wait. Uh-oh, that's almost a year.
Wicked Burn by Beth Kerry: I'm #78, they estimate a 78 week wait. Ouch!
The Beast in Him by Shelley Laurenston: I'm #149, they estimate a 149 week wait. That's 3 years!!!
Then there are several books on my list they won't even give an estimated wait time for. :( I think the trick is to request them as soon as the book title is released, before the book ever goes on sale.

HOWEVER, you can get some older or less "in demand" books immediately:
Taimed by a Laird by Amanda Scott should be on its way to me soon.
Tumbling Through Time by Gwen Cready should also be on its way soon.

They have The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne, A Duke to Die For by Amelia Gray, and Compromised by Kate Noble ready to trade!

And, they apparently offer a few books to buy new through their store - I just bought Revealed by Kate Noble for less than $3.00 - New!!

The problem is that if you have older books listed (like I do) no one is taking them so you don't get the credits to get what you want. I think you can buy credits for $3.50 each if I understand the site correctly. I think if I didn't have my local used bookstore I would probably use PBS, but I'm more of an "instant gratification" kind of girl so once I've decided which books I want to use my credits on, I probably won't use it unless it's a book my used bookstore won't take and I can find someone on PBS who wants it.

Sooooo, I'm glad I can get some of the books they don't have in my local bookstores (why don't they carry the first book in series?), but am frustrated at the wait time for some of the books I want.

How about you? Do you swap? Or do you keep every book you buy? Even if you didn't care for it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment