Saturday, July 11, 2009

Resting My Eyes


I have been an avid reader as long as I can rememer. As a kid my mom would complain that she couldn't send me to my room to punish me because I'd just go in and read and that was not a punishment. Now, as an adult, I have three kids, 7 years apart. As each of them were born, I put off reading for approximately the first two years of their lives; it's just not possible with all the attention they need! But, now my LAST (really last, not just saying that like we did after each of her siblings!) child is two and I have again discovered the joy of reading. Bliss!


This time around I've had a paranormal fixation, ever since I was introduced to Twilight by a co-worker. I was a late fan, I didn't get into the Twilight Saga until this past August. Since then I've devoured anything I can get my hands on that involves vampires, werewolves, and magic. A little romance thrown in just sweetens the pot (or should I say plot?). I've read more series than I can even remember. Recently I typed a list for a co-worker of some of the vampire/paranormal series I'd recently read and it was two pages long!


Anyway, my sweet husband went out and picked up Underworld for me. I'd never seen it and several of the stories I've read reference the movie and he thought I'd enjoy it (I've also never seen Buffy or Van Helsing). I did, but I fell asleep a couple of times at the big fight scene (was there more than one, I'm not sure if it was several fights or one continuous scene that I kept dozing off and waking up) at the end. Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie and we're supposed to watch the second Underworld tonight.


Here's the thing: I can stay up reading until midnight if a book is good enough (I get up at 5:30), but I couldn't stay up until 10:00 to watch the movie? I'm wondering if it's because reading is active (for your brain anyway) and watching TV is passive? That I have to be alert to read so I can imagine what my brain is processing, whereas watching TV doesn't take much in the brain activity department? I don't know, I just thought it was weird.

0 comments:

Post a Comment