Wednesday, June 2, 2010

5 stars to a book I didn't want to read!


I was first made aware of this book by Danielle at ALPHA Reader. She gave it such a good review, I thought, "I don't usually like stuff with aliens but I'll put in on my TBR." Then, for my birthday, my son bought it for me, and then I HAD to read it :) But I kept putting it off - I'm not really a big fan of alien stories.

This book is made of awesome! I want to stand in front of the bookstore in my tinfoil hat and tell people "Buy this book!" I loved it! (This always happens to me,btw, I put off reading a book and end up loving it.)

Katherine "Kitty" Katt, is leaving jury duty when she witnesses an accident and the resulting argument. Suddenly though, things take a turn for the weird when the man turns into a horrible monster and kills the other driver (his wife) and starts attacking the courthouse! Instead of running, Kitty grabs her Mont Blanc pen and ends up killing him with it.

When the police show up, so does Jeffery "Jeff" Martini (love that last name). He's a hottie, and Kitty is definitely attracted! He's giving off a "Men in Black" vibe, and Kitty ends up going to meet his superiors, where she learns there's much more to Jeff and his crew than meets the eye!

This book has it all - witty, sometimes campy dialogue, smokin' hot sex, international and interplanetary intrigue, and maybe even a lesson to learn. If I had to pick a quote, I'd probably put in half the book; I really loved Jeff and Kitty's repartee. The secondary characters were engaging and I probably developed feelings for half of Kitty's team; especially Jeff's cousin Christopher. I adored her larger than life parents and their menagerie. We heard a lot about but didn't actually meet Kitty's three best friends; I'm hoping we'll meet Best Friend Chuckie in the next book - Alien Tango.

There were some parts I felt like could have been pushed through a little - technical stuff that I would have accepted as part of the world building without a lengthy explanation, but even that was interesting to read the whys and whereofs of different abilities and gadgets.

I've officially got a new fictional boyfriend (check my list on the left sidebar) and Gini Koch has a new stalker! In case you hadn't figured it out yet, I'm giving this book 6/5 stars - (Officially it's 5/5 but my son said since he bought it for me I had to give it an extra star) This book is going on my keeper shelf and I know I will reread it many times! Thanks Danielle and Ian!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment