Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James


I think this is probably only the 2nd Contemporary I've read that didn't involve some sort of paranormal-ness to it. I must say I really liked it!

Payton Kendal and J.D. Jameson are 8th year lawyers at the same firm, both are up for Partner in a month. Payton and J.D. have had a mutual distaste for each other almost from day one of working with the firm. Then, they're assigned to partner together to pull in a huge new client. They decide they can try to get over their animosity and work together because they found out that this year the firm is trying to curb claims of ageism and will only pick one new partner instead of two. J.D. thinks they will pick Payton because she's a woman, and Payton thinks they'll pick J.D. because of the "good ol' boy" cronyism. Ms. James did a good job of showing the two of them learning about each other in bits and pieces. I also enjoyed their interaction with the secondary characters.

This book had me laughing so hard tears were coming out of my eyes. The relationship between these two was fascinating to read - and when they found out why they had hated each other all those years - wow! I enjoyed the whole book - there were no slow, boring spots - and rooted so hard for these two. And the end, while a bit far-fetched, was great!

0 comments:

Post a Comment